The Death of Dr. Andrew Nash, 
Doctor for the Wallsend Co-operative Colliery and the Wallsend Colliery from 1875 - 1885.


The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser, Tuesday 24 November 1885.

Accidental Death of Dr. A. Nash, of Wallsend.

(From Saturday's Newcastle Herald.)


Last evening our Wallsend correspondent wired us briefly the following startlingly sad intelligence:

"Wallsend, Friday, 6 p.m.- Dr. Nash, whilst jumping his favourite horse Satellite over the hurdles on the course this afternoon, met with a fatal accident. In attempting one jump the horse hit the top rail, threw the doctor, and fell over on him, death resulting almost immediately afterwards. The greatest sympathy is felt on all sides, and the terrible news has completely paralysed every inhabitant of our town."

The announcement of the lamentable accident flew like wild fire throughout the district last evening, and cast a gloom over the whole community. The doctor was deservedly and universally respected, and always played a prominent part in sporting and other matters likely to conduce to the amusement and welfare of the people. He took up his abode in Wallsend in November, 1875, and was elected medical officer to the Co-operative Colliery on the l6th of that month. Some time afterwards he was appointed doctor for the Wallsend Colliery, and occupied these positions until his career ended in the terribly sad manner recorded above. Dr. Nash was a widower, his wife having died early in the present year. He leaves behind two sons and one daughter,- one of the former being Dr. J. B. Nash, of Lambton; and the other son, Andrew, is now studying for the medical profession at the University of Edinburgh.

Our Lambton correspondent writes:-The sad news of the fatal accident to Dr. A. Nash, of Wallsend, has been received here with deep regret. If sorrow, if sympathy, can do aught to appease the heavy trouble of those bereaved, I am sure it is in this town most heartfelt for them in all directions. Every man and woman who knew the good old doctor liked and respected him, and I am sure that all will join with me in saying that a useful man has been taken from amongst us - aye, one that could ill be spared.


(Abridged from yesterday's Newcastle Herald.)

On Saturday morning an inquest was held on the body of Dr. Nash when it was stated that the deceased went with his jockey John Barnfather to give his horse a jump over the hurdles. The deceased mounted his racehorse Satellite, and requested Barnfather, who was on another horse, to step back, and allow him to go over tho hurdle first. He walked the horse to within about ten yards from the hurdle, and then cantered, but as the horse was going over its knees struck the hurdle, and the animal appeared to balance itself for one or two seconds on the hurdle. Barnfather sang out to the deceased to pull the horse back, but before he had time to do so the horse fell over the hurdle, on top of deceased. Barnfather jumped off the horse he was riding, and ran to the deceased's assistance, and lifted him into a sitting position, and spoke to him, but he received no answer. A man named Sheeley then made his appearance, and Barnfather rode away for medical assistance. Dr. Tomlins arrived shortly after, but pronounced life extinct. The deceased's chest had been entirely crushed in, whilst the whole of his ribs on both sides were broken. It is supposed that the ribs came in contact with the heart which caused death. The deceased was 51 years of age, and was a native of Donoraile, County Cork, Ireland. - A verdict of accidental death was returned.

The funeral took place on Sunday, the deceased gentleman being buried at the Sandgate cemetery. The Wallsend and Lambton Volunteer Infantry were present, and were preceded by the Wallsend band playing the "Dead March," in Saul. There were upwards of 100 vehicles and between 400 and 500 horsemen present. The procession was the largest known in the district for the last 25 years. There were about 4000 persons present at the cemetery. Owing to some unexplained circumstance, the officiating clergyman was not present, and the ritual of the I.O.O.F., M.U., for the dead was read over the deceased by Brother Hugh Young. At the close of this improvised ceremony, the large gathering dispersed.

"Accidental Death of Dr. A. W. Nash of Wallsend." The Maitland & Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW: 1843-1893) 24 Nov 1885:2. Web. 25 Mar 2013.


Transcribed by M. Sherwin, 2013.

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...