Dr A. W. Nash (1862-1905)

Dr. Andrew W. Nash was the youngest son of Dr. Nash (1834-1885), the Wallsend Co-operative Colliery Doctor. He was born in Jamieson, Victoria in 1862 and educated at St. Patrick's College, Melbourne. He studied medicine at Edinburgh University graduating in 1886.

Dr. Andrew Nash worked with his brother Dr. J. B. Nash at Wallsend Hospital, and also worked in Blayney and Teralba. In 1899 he took over the practice of Dr. Stapleton in Lambton. His name appears on the Medical Officers Honour Board at Wallsend Hospital. He was a popular doctor with a good sense of humour and held a number of prominent positions in the local community. He was a member of the Newcastle Jockey Club, member of the Tattersall's Club, President of the local Fire Brigade, Lieutenant in the local Army Medical Corps, and Honorary Surgeon to the Newcastle Jockey Club.

He died in 1905, of blood poisoning, which he contracted after cutting his finger while treating a patient. He was buried in Sandgate Cemetery and several thousand mourners attended his funeral. The cortege was led by the Irish Rifles and the band of the Fourth Regiment; the Army Medical Corps, Scottish Rifles, Fourth Infantry Regiment, the Lancers, Artillery, and Naval Brigade marched in procession behind the hearse.

Text © M. Sherwin, 2013.

Wallsend Mining District Hospital

Ralph Snowball Collection 


"Obituary. Dr. A. W. Nash." Freeman's Journal (Sydney, NSW: 1850-1932) 1 April 1905:20. Web. 25 Mar. 2013. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article108020642

More Information

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...